Tuesday, May 01, 2007

a lovely evening........

Old people should be required to take driving tests every time they renew their licenses after age 70. A 75 year old driver is 3 times more likely to die in a car crash than a 23 year old driver. Usually, it's an older driver losing control of their car that causes the most damage. A few years back, an elderly man stepped on the accelerator instead of the brake and killed 10 people at a farmer's market.

I was the recipient of this theory tonight. On the way home from work, my husband and I were riding along when an elderly man ran a stop sign. I could see that he wasn't going to stop, so I slammed on my brakes and started to lay on the horn. My hand didn't even get as far as the horn when our airbags deployed and we smashed into the front of the old man's car. We sat there stunned, in a choking haze of airbag dust.

We're both OK, as is the old man, but his car and our car will need extensive repairs. To add insult to injury, it started pouring with rain as we were talking to the cops. The cops ticketed the old man for running a stop sign. I got checked out by the paramedics even though I didn't feel I was hurt.

NOW I feel hurt. I have horrendous bruises on my chest and on my stomach, and my husband and I both are very sore and stiff. My face is red from the airbag dust and my eyes are irritated. We have insurance stuff to deal with tomorrow, so both of us are staying home from work. I should have the bruises looked at by my doctor and make sure that my back isn't injured further.

I'd rather be sore from exercising....

5 comments:

Jimmy Holcomb (Treblephone) said...

Ow....sorry. Glad you two are OK.

I've always thought that should be the case.

HOLMES said...

Oh, shit. You are going to be in serious pain tomorrow... those airbags are the worst. When Phillip had his wreck about 10 years ago, he got 2nd degree burns from the bag, the rough material made all the capillaries in his face pop, he had hearing damage from the explosion, and the dust caused the same allergy symptoms you described.

Take some muscle relaxers tonight; you will need them.

Old people driving are WAY worse than teenagers; at least the teenagers have some reaction time.

Glad you are okay. Pissed for you that you have insurance bullshit to deal with. Can you drive your truck?

Unknown said...

GIRL, i can not believe this. hope everything settles well for you with insurance and doctor...be sure to update.

Anonymous said...

Nothing like the taste of airbag dust in your mouth....

ahhhh, it brings back such memories...

Unknown said...

If this is the worst thing that happens to us in Austin, though, I'll count us lucky.