Sunday, October 22, 2006

Booger Bears

I was looking at website that lists supposedly "haunted" places in Texas and was dismayed to find that my hometown of Greenville is not listed at all. I did, however, find it listed on a site that lists Bigfoot sitings by state: http://www.texasbigfoot.com/Fate779.html
Has Bigfoot Moved To Texas? So while Greenvile can't boast any haints, it seems to have a supply of "booger bears" or skunk apes. This doesn't surprise me in the least. Anyone with any common sense at all would get the hell out of Greenville as soon as possible and they certainly wouldn't stick around after death. But, there have always been loads of stinking things in the vicinity of Hunt County, and I mean only partially the church folks.
My uncle Larry told me once of a near miss with a booger bear (?) out at a pond in the woods near Campbell, Texas. Campbell is the place I usually tell people I'm from because I'm embarrassed as shit to be from Greenville. Anyway, he was fishing at this pond out in the woods with his dog. Suddenly, the dog starts cowering and runs under the truck and my uncle notices a terrible stench in the air. Church people around, you say? Not bloody likely. It was on a Sunday evening when they'd all be in church pretending. Then, an unearthly howl split the air, causing a chill to run up my uncle's spine. My uncle is a Vietnam vet and he's not easily frightened. He decided it was time to pack up and split for home. As he was loading up the truck, he noticed some unusual tracks that he couldn't recognize. They were too big to be a regular bear's tracks. So, he was being stalked by a booger bear.......that's his story and he's sticking to it, even after all these years.
I remember going to the theatre to see The Legend of Boggy Creek when I was a kid and it scared the crap out of me. That monster was allegedly in Fouke, Arkansas, right next to Texarkana. I rented it again a few years ago and laughed through most of it, but it did have genuinely creepy parts. I like the idea that there's something out there that people don't quite know everything about.....ah, sweet mystery of life!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

They should make a horror movie called, "Greenville, Texas" and just show all the real-life stuff from the town... that's scare the shit outta people.

Shelly

cathead9 said...

Yep, that would do it....I'm scared just knowing I have to go home for Thanksgiving.
I hope the Booger Bears don't get me....