Thursday, February 15, 2007

First in a series

This morning, I went to get the first in a series of 3 epidural steroid injections. This one was in my lumbar spine. I had told the nurse practitioner that I would prefer to be knocked out during this procedure, but when I arrived and got checked in today, I was informed that they "don't do that for back shots". So, with only local anesthetic, I got a needle stuck into my spinal column to deliver anti-inflammatory medication and steroid medication, which is supposed to cut or lower the inflamed sensation of the compressed nerves caught between my bulging disc and my torn one. I'll repeat that: I GOT A FUCKING NEEDLE STUCK IN MY SPINE AND THEY WOULDNT KNOCK ME OUT.
Actually, it wasn't THAT bad. I did feel it at certain points, but the whole thing took maybe 10 minutes, tops. I let them know it when I did feel it. My legs felt a bit strange immediately afterward, like I couldn't lift them high enough to not walk like a gimp, but other than soreness, I'm fine now. I may not be that way later tonight, when the numbing medication wears off. The steroids take about 3 days to kick in, so there will be a day or so where I'll be feeling "not so fresh", as they say in the tampon commercials.
Now I'm at home, napping, watching TV and dreading going back to work tomorrow. And yes, I do have to go back to work tomorrow, my boss is already freaking that I took today off. He's working with the flu. Good for him, make everybody sick.
Now, I have to come back on March 1st for the neck shot. They do put you out for that one, I asked the doc......

2 comments:

Jimmy Holcomb (Treblephone) said...

FUCK. So sorry.

Hope you feel great when it kicks in...

Unknown said...

gees louise...let me know how you feel over the next couple of days...i am really interested in knowing with all i've got going on.