Friday, June 30, 2006

Songs that make me go "ahhhhh"

Everyone has their favorite songs, but there are some songs that give me a physical, almost visceral reaction. These go beyond being mere "favorites"; hearing them become necessary to my happiness in life, even if I just listen to them once every year or so. These songs are so important to me that I could literally listen to them over and over again for hours and not get tired. I did exactly that when I was a kid, much to my mother's consternation. I would play the same song over and over and over, getting the same thrill every time and discovering new facets of the recording in each listening. I considered this part of my "training in progress" at the time; I wanted to be a record producer. Fuck that, I wanted to be Brian Wilson or Phil Spector but without the mental illness and bad hair. I didn't get to be a record producer and I've struggled with mental illness, but I've got really nice hair...;-)
Now, on to my list, in no particular order:

Wolves, Lower - REM
Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones
Love Will Tear Us Apart - Joy Division
Stroll On - Yardbirds
Surf's Up - Beach Boys
The Yellow Princess - John Fahey
Gardening At Night - REM
Victoria - the Kinks
Be My Baby - Ronettes
See No Evil - Television
Anarchy In The UK - Sex Pistols
Sunflower River Blues - John Fahey
Point of No Return - Georgie Fame
Over, Under, Sideways, Down - Yardbirds
The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down - The Band

that's all I can think of at the moment.....what are yours?

2 comments:

HOLMES said...

Alas, you will hate most of the songs on my list. I'm the white trash of musical taste.

cathead9 said...

Personal taste isn't the point of this post.....color me curious. I have guilty pleasures too.