Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Poo Poo and Dookey

Yesterday I went to see a gastroenterologist about scheduling my first colonoscopy. The nurse and doctor were suitably horrified at my family history of cancer on both sides, and the doc asked me to schedule it ASAP. I found it amusing that the nurse (a woman older than me) kept referring to "poo poo" and "dookey", rather than feces or even shit. I don't look 41, but I don't look 6 either.....
She told me that colon, breast, ovarian and uterine cancers are all linked, and I've had all those in my first and second-degree relatives, along with stomach cancer, skin cancer, brain cancer and pancreatic cancer. I'm not being pessimistic when I say it's a matter of time before I have cancer too, I think I'm just being realistic. So, I try to stay on top of my health, which isn't great to start with. Some people interpret that as hypochondria, but I just don't want what happened to my mom to happen to me. If my insurance would pay to have my ovaries out now, I'd rip those suckers out so fast, I'd probably grow an instant mustache. But no.....I have to keep them until "there's a problem". So menopause will have to wait....

No comments: