Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Farmers Market - links aplenty!

Last Wednesday, I stopped by my local farmers market on the way home. There's a small one right smack dab in the middle of a newish housing/retail complex here called the Triangle. There were only about 15 or so stalls, not nearly as many as the big one downtown on Saturday mornings, but it was pleasant enough and I got some great stuff.

I bought some lovely squash and some bell peppers, also some locally made soap that absolutely rocks ass, as my pal Shelly would say. There were several food vendors there, so I stopped at one and bought a couple of frozen Boomerang's Aussie meat pies for dinner. An Australian version of a Cornish pasty, these had light flaky crusts and the fillings were quite good as well. There were also vendors of pizza, Nepalese vegan food, grass-fed bison and bistro-type fare, and live music on top of all that.

I would encourage anyone who reads this to visit the farmers market in their own hometowns. I remember the one in Greenville, where I grew up. My mom would always want to stop by there when we were downtown because the vendors had homegrown tomatoes and my mom LOVED tomatoes. They tasted better, looked prettier and were cheaper than the ones you found in the store. That's how farmers markets usually are. The produce I bought was about the same price as the organic produce you'd find at Whole Foods, but it was more convenient to get to after work. Plus, it's not just produce, there's other fun stuff too and it's a relaxing stroll. It's a great place to hang out on Saturday mornings or whenever your town's market happens. You'll get to buy beautiful fruits and veggies (probably grown in someone's back yard or "back 40" as they used to call it) grown without pesticides, bursting with flavor and goodness.

If you wondering why all the links, it's because I just figured out how to do it. It only takes me a few years.....just like it did to learn to eat healthy.

No comments: