Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Take This Job and..........

don't shove it just yet, because I still need it until I find another one. I have had a nose full of these idiots. It's not just the constant "AWESOME!", that stopped back at the end of September when one co-worker quit. It's not even the creepy "Your team means EVERYTHING! Are you giving ALL to your TEAM?!?" messages on the monitors, constantly showing all day, every day, threatening to turn me into a Moonie if I let my guard slip for a split second.

No, it's the piss-poor lack of planning of the management and the monster ego of the CEO, a man spoken of in reverent tones by almost everyone there. This is a man of whom I've heard the following:
- "he walks the walk and talks the talk of the God I worship". That was in an email today.
- "if you look at his eyes, you can see the constant flow of ideas flitting across his mind. The man's a genius."

This is the same man who hires people based on their Enneagram scores, not on work history or personal references (If you're not familiar with the Enneagram, click on the link. It's pseudoscience at its worst).

This man also has determined (through the magic of the Enneagram) that he will mandate attendance of certain classes. Do these classes teach you how to perform your job better? Why, no, they don't. The classes are based on which of your personality traits that he has decided need pursuing. Mine was "leadership". Apparently, wanting to come to work early everyday, work through lunch and do my best to make as much money for his company as possible indicated a "lack of leadership skills".

So, every Monday for the last 3 weeks and for the next 7 weeks, he wants, nay, DECREES that I shall explore my leadership abilities in this class, leaving work to pile up on my desk. This also means that I get to work on Saturdays at time and a half to make up for the last hour and a half I lose on this class. Oh yes, and there's also "How Not To Think Like A Victim" classes. I get to take those too.

I recently attended a purely functional meeting between the upper management and the shipping dept. They asked what ideas we might have to make things run more smoothly. My ideas were the following:
- stop making us move to different cubicles all the time. I've been there less than 4 months and I just got moved into my 4th cubicle today. Fat lot of good THAT suggestion did.
- stop forcing us to take classes that have nothing to do with our jobs. If we were such damaged people, we should never have been hired in the first place. Believe you me, I wish that was the case with me....when I indicated that perhaps this indicated a Messiah complex on the CEO's part, you should have seen the looks I got. Like I had stepped on a kitten.....
- how about hiring some more shippers? Nope, didn't think so. They've hired 12 more production people, but no more shippers.


When I left my former job (oh, how my former co-workers will laugh when they read this post...'that bitch got what was coming to her!'), my boss gave me some helpful advice, which I would have followed, but could not. He told me to "hide it, if you're not feeling great." I can't HIDE anything. I'm physically unable to do that. My heart is on my sleeve, my emotions are always on my face. If I don't like something, you'll know about it, sooner or later, probably sooner. I've always been like that and I know a lot of people who don't like people who can't lie and fake things. My ex-boss is a very smart man. He doesn't lie, he just picks his battles. I've never been good at that. I've always been more like a Don Quixote type...tilting at windmills. That's why he has a very stressful, high-paying job and I'm stuck with this one. There was one lady at my former job who suggested that my way of being was due to "immaturity....or ADHD", but what the fuck did she know? She didn't even have a college degree and was jealous of mine. Now I have a chronic health condition and couldn't handle the stress even if I wanted to.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

We'll laugh when you're finally away from that place. Doesn't seem like it now, but we'll laugh.

Unknown said...

Enneagram? He's an idiot then. That's like basing your decisions on astrology, or psychic readings, or even "Jesus spoke to my heart". All the same, and all crap.

Unknown said...

what about Whole Foods? That seems like a great fit. I hate personality profiles...that's jacked.

HOLMES said...

If you've got go to all those bullshit workshops, you may as well become a teacher so your entire existence can revolve around the rhetoric spewed forth during them.

Adrian is right... one day we will all look back on this and laugh.