Friday, September 12, 2008

Migraines are not cost effective

I called in sick today because I went to bed and woke up with a screaming migraine that was causing my left eye to swell shut. I didn't have migraines for most of the summer, because summer in Texas is usually just one thing: HOT. When the season changes to spring and fall, they kick up again because of the change in barometric pressure. Hurricane Ike is making landfall tonight, so I should have realized that a headache was in the cards.

It's hard to describe what a migraine is like; the only comparison I can make would be someone plunging a bayonet through your temple and punching you in the eye at the same time. I've had them most of my life and can usually deal with them fine. I have meds for them, I just don't keep them filled because they're very expensive and the pharmacy will only give you 6 tablets, which for me will take care of 1 headache. I should have filled the prescription 2 days ago anyway, when I got an aura. For those of you unfamiliar, auras are little flashes of light on you peripheral vision or a disturbance in the visual field. Mine make everything look like it's outlined in neon glitter. Everything gets shiny to the point where I sometimes can't see anything for a few minutes and I have to go to the ladies room and cover my eyes for a while. I spent most of the day today in bed and I'll probably do that most of tomorrow too, until the winds die down.

1 comment:

HOLMES said...

I hope you are feeling better. Kelli and Dustin get migraines too, and when Dustin gets a bad one, he's incapacitated, sometimes for days! I've never had one, though I have had a cluster headache before, and that was a nightmare. Anyway.... hope you are better. Love you and miss you.