Thursday, February 21, 2008

A Tough Nut to Crack

I've been unemployed now for a little over 2 weeks, just long enough for me to decide that I don't care for it at all. I registered for unemployment benefits and was approved, and TWC told me that I was obliged to look for at least 5 jobs per week in order to request payment. So far since the 5th of this month, I've applied for 30 jobs and I've received exactly 1 call for an interview, for a job that I didn't get. When the "visionary" (he described himself that way) interviewed me, I had to tell him that I had a chronic health condition that required doctors appointments but wouldn't affect my job performance. That was it. No dice. In a town filled with healthy young college students, why would he want to hire someone who would have to leave an hour early once a month for a doctor's appointment?

I never had this much trouble finding a job in Dallas, but then, not everyone with a college degree in the Western Hemisphere wanted to live and work in Dallas. If I don't find something by the start of summer, I'll have to go back to retail. I don't know that I'm physically able to stand on my feet for 8 hours anymore. I may not have a choice.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

have you talked to your dr about disability? i think that you said you had...

let's hear some thoughts on the debates in austin last night and your presidential pick... :)